Cooperative History

CHS Dakota Prairie

Formerly Known as Farmers Union Grain Company

The first meeting of individuals interested in organizing a cooperative grain company was held January 31, 1939, and the first Board of Directors was organized on May 20, 1939 by Fred Grainiger. A special stockholders meeting in July, 1939 resulted in the purchase of the Andrews Grain Company. The first Board of Directors was Max Hartwig, Carl Houge, William Schulz, Ralph Washburn and Frank Fischer.

Timeline

1941
Annex was added to the existing structure for $2,641

1943
Seed cleaning plant was built

1948
Purchased the Franklin, Diesem and Medberry elevators

1952
The Franklin elevator moved to Edgeley

1953
The Diesem elevator sold to a private party

1956
Feed room, driveway and office built

1957
Modern main elevator built (still in use today) for $107,846

1974
Certified seed cleaning plant built

1983
First 25-car unit train loaded

1988
Complete overhaul and upgrade of main elevator

1989
Leased the elevator in Jud

1990
Purchased the PV elevator in Edgeley

1991
Purchased the old Security National Bank building to be used for main office

1992
Purchased first terragator to spread fertilizer.

1995
New concrete annex built with 245,000 bu. capacity for $1,300,000

1997
Acquired the elevators at Kulm and Monango from SD Wheat Growers
Discontinued leasing the Jud elevator

1996
Purchased John Deere 4700 Sprayer

2000
Merged Farmers Union Grain into Harvest States Co-op becoming part of Country Operations
Name changed to Dakota Prairie Ag

2001
Partnered with Farmers Union Oil Companies of Edgeley and Kulm to form Allied Agronomy LLC

2002
Sold elevator in city of Monango to Kinzlers Rocking K Farm

2005
Shuttle train (110 cars) facility built, including 310,000 bushel storage and 60,000 bushel per hour loadout for $2,100,000

2006
First shuttle train loaded February 13. 430,000 bushel loaded
Sold PV elevator facility to Edgeley Bean Receiving

2007
Grain dryer (5,000 bu. per hour) and 650,000 bu. grain storage bunker added for a total of $750,000

2010
Added new office building, truck probe and 120 foot scale at 306 First street
Also added a storage bin with a capacity of 425,000 bushel for a total of $1,450,000

2014
Added 425,000 bushel storage bin, and 20,000 bushel per hour truck dump for a total of $4,700,000
Changed name to CHS Dakota Prairie

The Edgeley Farmers Union Grain Company, as featured in the October 17, 1986 issue of the Union Farmer, features the services of a fast-loading conveyor system made possible through the cooperation of several area co-ops.

Highlights

Present elevator storage capacity:
1,835,000 bushel

First year of operation (1939-1940):
Handled 45,762 bushels of grain

Present Board members:
Jeremy Nitschke, President
Nick Mathern, Vice President
Chad Schulz, Secretary
Justin Fredenburg, Director
Grant Mathern, Director

Managers over the years:
Bret Kramer, 2015-Present
Tony Johannesen, 1984-2015
Glenn E. Olson, 1982-84
Marlen Meester, 1979-82
Jim McColm, 1970-79
Glenn E. Olson, 1965-70
Earl O. Isaacson, 1957-64
Floyd Johnston, 1956-57
Floyd McColm, 1949-56
Tom Boom, 1948-49
George Calvin, 1947-48
Lowell Sheppard, 1945-47
L.M. Oppegaard, 1939-45

 

© 2018 CHS Inc.